Gratitude is a positive emotion that evokes thankfulness and appreciation in a person. It is associated with several mental and physical health benefits. When people experience gratitude, they feel grateful for someone or something in their lives. They respond with kindness, warmth, and other generosities towards all.
Types Of Gratitude
How do you know when you are experiencing gratitude? What does gratitude look like? These are the common questions that arise in our minds when we talk of gratitude. We can categorize gratitude broadly into three:
- As an effective trait: Some people naturally experience gratitude more frequently than others because they have it in their general disposition.
- Expressed as a mood: Some people might feel it in periods that is they may be more grateful at some times while less at other times.
- As an emotion: Some people might experience for a brief moment. A particular incident might inspire the feelings of gratitude in some for that particular moment.
How To Practice Gratitude
As mentioned earlier gratitude comes naturally to some, while others can develop it. Developing gratitude is not a challenging task nor does it require any special training or tools. The more you practice it, the better you become at it and are able to put yourself in a grateful state of mind. A few steps to develop gratitude are:
- Observe every moment: Be mindful about everything in your life. Spend a few minutes to analyze the events of the day. Be aware of the difficult situations you faced and what helped you cope. Be thankful to the people who have done something foe you that day or the particular things that helped you to manage your stress.
- Maintain a gratitude journal: Write down the things or the names of people you are thankful to. This journal helps you to refresh your memories on the days you are struggling to feel grateful.
- Savor the moment: Give yourself some time to enjoy these moments of gratefulness. Focus on an experience and let yourself to absorb all the good feelings and the positive energy.
- Give thanks: Now that you are aware of the people who helped you wade through difficult situations take out time to thank them. A thank you may be expressed with only a few words of appreciation, a gift, flowers, some time spent with them. If it a thing that has helped you manage your stress then take a moment to mentally appreciate its presence.
Expressing appreciation for others helps to build up the quality and satisfaction of interpersonal relationships.
Impact Of Gratitude
Practicing gratitude has a significant impact not just on our psychological but also on our physical health. Research has discovered the following as the benefits of gratitude:
- Better sleep
- Higher self esteem
- Better immunity
- Lower Blood pressure
- Reduced Stress
- Less anxiety and depression
- Stronger relationships
- Higher levels of optimism
Research suggests that people who tend to be grateful focus more on the present and play a role in magnifying positive emotions. Such people engage in health-promoting behaviors and lead a healthy lifestyle.
A Word From H2FCare
Remember Gratitude blocks toxic emotions, such as envy, resentment, regret, and depression which can destroy happiness. Start with acknowledging the presence of people or things that help you to feel good about your life and accomplish what you need. Show appreciation and make the world a better place to live.