Piriformis Syndrome is a condition in which the piriformis muscle located in the butt area causes pain and spasms. Since the sciatic nerve passes close to the muscle, the inflammation of the muscle can cause irritation in this nearby nerve causing pain that travels right up to the toes. This nerve pain is also associated with numbness, tingling along the back on leg, and foot.
Does it require help
It depends on the reason because of which one is undergoing the experience of Piriformis Syndrome. If the reason is because of long sitting hours and simple spasms, probably the pain and numbness may go away without any treatment. If it doesn’t go away one needs to introspect the real reason and may need physical therapy.
How it feels
Piriformis pain feels like a simple pain in the butt area most of the time accompanied by cramping, tingling, and numbness in the glute muscle area. This tingling and numbness may travel back of the leg and up to the foot of the same leg where one is experiencing piriformis syndrome.
There are various reasons for it to occur. Having weak glutes due to long sitting on butts is most common among people. Those associated with sports may have this because of repetitive movement (like running) and fatigue of piriformis muscle which is mainly responsible for external rotation of the hip joint. This causes inflammation leading to compression of the nearby sciatic nerve.
1. Flossing of the sciatic nerve to calm the irritated nerve and release compression.
2. Increase range of motion by physical rehabilitation.
3. Avoid the cause such as activity or sitting for long hours
4. Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug, muscle relaxant, nerve pain reliever as advised.
5. Gentle message from inside of the butt towards outside, unidirectional.
6. Apply Ice to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
Long term Fix
1. Build glutes.
2. Increase the flexibility of hip muscles and joints.
3. Avoid the activity if repeated episodes of piriformis syndrome occur.
4. Check for wrong gait or posture while performing exercises and correct them.
5. Reduce total mileage and pace if required.
Article by: Capt Jitender Harjai Fitness Expert H2F Care