‘O’ is one of the 26 alphabets of the English language. However, in the scientific world, it is the symbol of the life-giving gas Oxygen. We all are aware of oxygen gas as O2 what we need to know is that when another atom of oxygen combines with the existing O2 gas molecule it forms another life-saving gas O3 or Ozone.
Wide Usage OF Ozone
Ozone therapy has been used by medical practitioners for over a century now, but it has become popular only in recent times. It cures autoimmune diseases, cancer, and several other health issues. We are using Ozone not only in medicine but also as a disinfectant in water cleaning machines, air purifiers, and so on.
Ozone is present in the Stratospheric layer of the Earth’s atmosphere at a height of 15-30 km above the earth’s surface. It helps to keep the harmful ultraviolet radiation of the sun at bay. Thus, helping to sustain life on the Earth. The absence of Ozone in the atmosphere would mean the absence of living forms on the earth.
Destruction Of Ozone
Although in the atmosphere Ozone forms naturally by sunlight reacting with the present oxygen molecules, it gets destroyed by the various gases that we use in our daily lives. Some of these gases include Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC), Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), Methyl chloroform (CH3CCl4), Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), Methyl Bromide (CH3Br), and several more. These seem like heavy names and not easily accessible gases. Let me update you that some of these gases we use in our everyday lives. Surprising, isn’t it? Various solvents, spray aerosols (deodorants), refrigerators, air conditioners, etc release these gases.
The usage of these gasses releases chlorine atoms in the stratosphere. These chlorine atoms then combine with the ozone and are creating a hole in the protective ozone layer, which is present around the Earth.
Preserve The Ozone
Humans are the most intelligent species on this Earth. Why are we then using things which are leading to erasing our very own existence? It is time for us to wake up and preserve this most needed ozone layer for the survival of our future generations. Some simple steps that we can take to preserve the ozone layer are:
- Avoid the usage of the gasses which are dangerous to the ozone layer. While installing a new air conditioner or buying a new refrigerator we need to be aware of the gases that are used in them for cooling purpose. Do not buy products that release CFC’s, Nitrous oxide, Methyl Bromide, etc.
- Maintain your air conditioners. People who have air-conditioners which are old and have non eco friendly gases should maintain them well. Malfunctions in the appliance causes release of CFC into the atmosphere.
- Minimize the usage of cars to pollute less. Using either a public transport, cycle, or opting for car pool are healthier ways transporting.
- Non harmful cleaning agents. Several cleaning agents use solvent which release the harmful gases into the atmosphere. These should be replaced by vinegar, bicarbonate which are eco- friendly products.
- Use locally produced products. Usage of local products gives you fresh produce along with reducing the pollution caused by long distance transportation of these products.
- As a consumer be aware of the products you use for deodorants and other aerosol sprays. Buy only those which do not use HCF or CFC as propellants.