I had been noticing a few changes in one of my very promising colleagues. She seemed a little lost in the briefings and could not recall the instructions that had been given to us. She was always one of the brightest and quickest at work. Seeing her deteriorate like this rang a bell in my mind. I suggested she consult a therapist and help her identify her problem. It turned out that she was suffering from brain fog.
Brain fog is not a medical condition. It is just a term to describe the feeling of being mentally fuzzy and slow.
Causes of Brain Fog
A deep study about brain fog revealed several causes such as:
1. Lack of sleep
3. Hormonal changes
4. Lack of vitamins and minerals in the diet
6. Medical Conditions
7. Viral Infections
Symptoms of Brain Fog
- Focusing on an idea or thought
- Pay attention to surroundings
- Following conversations
- Recalling things
- Mental exhaustion
Overcome Brain Fog
- Sleep well: A deep and sound sleep of 7-9 hours is a must for proper functioning of the brain.
- Build up intellectual wellness: Keep learning and trying new things to keep your brain stimulated. Listen to different kinds of music, have a different approach to solve similar problems.
- Improve memory: Use techniques to work on your memory. Use mnemonics, rhyming words, repeating names, etc to memorize them
- Avoid multitasking: Do not do multitasking as it is energy draining. Focus on one thing as each task requires a thought process.
- Be more focused: Focus all your attention on the task at hand. Stay away from the distractions.
- Be social: Engaging in social activities improves your mood and memory.
- Take mental breaks: Taking breaks during work helps to focus well. Breaks may include a short walk, listening to a song, a small chat with a friend or anything that helps you refresh.
- Meditation: Mindful meditation helps to build focus and reduce stress. Better to start on it late than never.
- Exercise: Physical fitness results in mental fitness. Stay physical active by choosing an activity which motivates you be it running, cycling, swimming, aerobics, Zumba, or yoga.
- Eat balanced diet: A well balanced diet is helps in holistic mental development and fitness.
- Avoid alcohol: Alcohol impairs the senses and makes the brain fuzzy and slow.
- Reflect and retrospect: Reading is an activity that everyone should adopt. Read good literature and reflect on what you have read and try to implement it in your daily actions and thoughts.
Brain fog is easily treatable. One only needs to determine the root cause of the problem and then it can be treated accordingly. Say if your brain fog is caused due to Vitamin B12 deficiency then taking its supplements helps to eradicate the problem. In another instance the person was having brain fog because of the antiallergic pills he was taking. A change in prescription eased the complete problem.
So do not neglect the symptoms of brain fog, discuss them with your doctor and get treated, and live a mentally healthy life!