Drinking sufficient fluids in a day is crucial. It not only helps to regulate body temperature but keeps our joints lubricated, skin healthy, prevents infections, delivers nutrients to cells, and keeps the organs functioning properly. Being well hydrated improves your sleep quality, cognition, and mood.
Experts recommend 11-16 cups of fluid intake daily both for males and females. These fluids may include water, flavored water containing fruits or berries, electrolytes, tea, or coffee.
2. Secondly, we need to be aware of our daily fluid intake patterns and if they meet our needs. Do we need to increase or decrease the volume and timing of your intake:
a. Do you drink anything when you get up in the morning?
b. What do you drink at your meals?
c. Do you drink something at specific times during the day?
d. Do you have a drink with you during your daily physical activities?
e. Do you drink before going to bed?
f. Do you drink fluids overnight?
g. What is the pattern you follow before or after meals?
h. What is the pattern during and after your exercise sessions?
3. Are you choosing a fluid that is right for your need?
4. Is the fluid you have chosen easily accessible?
5. Are you aware of the source of your fluid?
Tracking Fluid Intake
Track how well are you hydrated, and regulate your daily intake according to the following cues:
- How many times do you need to pee in a day?
2. What are the characteristics of your first urine of the morning?
3. Do you get up to pee at night?
4. Do you feel thirsty during the day?
5. Is your morning weight stable or it swindles on daily basis?
A Word From H2FCare
Now that you have assessed your daily requirement and tracked your daily intake you are ready to set a new pattern for your daily routine. Every individual is unique and so we need to identify our body’s requirements and fulfill them. Some people might require 10-12 cups of fluids while others might require 15-17cups of fluids depending on your activity level. Some might require to consume more during the first half while for some it might be more suitable to drink in the second half of the day depending on your bedtime habits and your diet. Identify your requirements and fulfill them accordingly to live a healthy, happy, and fit life.